top of page

RV Tenant Eviction


How does the eviction process work when evicting an RV tenant? Is it different than evicting a manufactured home community resident?


The process for evicting an RV tenant is the same process used for evicting most tenants in any setting. Nearly every eviction begins with an eviction notice, which must be properly served on the RV tenant.

“Proper service” under Oregon law means that the eviction notice must be either (1) personally served, (2) mailed by first class mail, or (3) posted and mailed (if allowed by the rental agreement).

I recommend that if the RV tenant has an individual mailbox at the park, eviction notices should be mailed with at least 3 days added for mailing time. If the tenant does not have mail service at the park, or if the mail goes through the park office for RV tenants, then personally serve the notice by putting it in his or her hand. “Posting and mailing” as a method of service should be avoided, since there must be very specific language in the rental agreement allowing such service.

Most notices give the tenant a certain amount of time to remedy a default (i.e., 72 hours to pay past-due rent), followed by a tenancy termination deadline if the default isn't remedied. Other notices can't be remedied (i.e., a 24-hour notice for outrageous conduct) and simply inform the tenant that they must vacate by a certain time and date. RV tenants can also be evicted with a 30-day, no-cause notice if they have been in the park less than a year. Anything over a year requires a 60-day notice to evict without cause.

The one special circumstance for evicting an RV that does not require service of a notice is the so-called “midnight move-in.” This occurs when an RV simply drives onto a space in the park without the prior consent of the landlord. When that happens and the RV owner refuses to vacate immediately, the landlord can simply file an eviction case without needing to serve any notice.

In all other cases, after an eviction notice expires and the RV tenant fails to vacate, the landlord will need to file an eviction lawsuit at the local county courthouse. The eviction lawsuit is sometimes referred to as an "FED" ("Forcible Entry and Detainer"). The tenant will be served with an eviction summons and complaint and be required to appear in court.

As the landlord, you will also need to appear in court unless you have an attorney or other agent (such as a property manager) appear in court at the "1st appearance hearing." This hearing is usually set 8 days after the FED is filed. The purpose of the hearing is to see whether the parties can work out a payment plan, move-out agreement, or other arrangement. If not, the case will be set for trial.

If you are unable to settle the case at the first appearance hearing, by law the trial must be scheduled within 15 days from the 1st appearance hearing. Sometimes, the parties or the court will delay the trial beyond this time frame, but most cases move quickly. This leaves little time for preparation, meaning it is important to have your witnesses, exhibits, and trial arguments ready to go.

You do not necessarily need an attorney for court appearances, but you will increase your chance of success if you do. The eviction statutes are very technical, and most people aren't familiar with courtroom procedures. You will especially be at a disadvantage if the RV tenant has an attorney. If your case gets to the point of a trial, it is usually worth it to hire an attorney.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page